Electronic Coil Spring Tester 73505
Electronic Coil Spring Tester Instructions
- Push the power button of the Electronic Scale Base on and let it warm up for about 5 minutes.
- Loosen the thumb knob of the Digital Travel Indicator.
- Remove the black handled pins and lift the jack slider up high enough that there is room to place the coil spring into the lower spring cup and temporarily re-insert the pins.
- Place the coil spring into the lower spring cup.
- Note: The top spring cup has one side for square end springs (Coil Over) and the other side for pigtail springs.
- For pigtail remove the bolt from the center of the cup to turn it over. Place the spacer on the bolt before placing the bolt through the spring cup or the bolt will be too long for the pigtail application. Make sure the pigtail is against the step in the cup.
- Remove the black handled pins and lower the jack slider until the top spring cup touches the coil spring, then raise it to the next available set of holes and re-insert the black handled pins.
- Tighten the valve at the base of the jack and pump the jack handle until the top and bottom spring cups are touching the coil spring.
- Slide the Digital Travel Indicator down until it stops and tighten the thumb knob.
- Zero the Digital Travel Indicator by pressing the 0/On Button.
- Pump the jack until the Digital Travel Indicator reads 1.0” for preload. This is very important and should be done accurately. You may alternatively use 0.5” (1/2”) depending on the spring quality as long as you always use the same amount.
- Re-Zero the Digital Travel Indicator. Zero the Electronic Scale by pressing the Zero button.
- Pump the jack until the Digital Travel Indicator reads 1.0”
- At this point the Electronic Scale Base shows the spring rate on the display.
- YOU MUST LOOSEN THE THUMB KNOB ON THE DIGITAL TRAVEL INDICATOR BEFORE RELEASING THE COIL SPRING OR IT WILL BE DAMAGED.
DANGER: Compressed coil springs are dangerous. If one comes out of the tester it can cause severe injury or death
- NEVER compress a spring beyond the capacity of the tester (3000 lbs)
- NEVER compress a coil spring that bows to one side or does not compress straight.
- NEVER compress a coil spring that is not seated completely within both spring cups.