Digital Caster / Camber Gauge with AccuLevel™ version 4
Instructions for Digital Caster/Camber Gauge
- Find a level place to set up your front end. This unit reads camber and caster very accurately. Unlevel ground will affect that accuracy. SEE BELOW IF GROUND IS NOT LEVEL
- Attach the gauge to the spindle. Be sure that the surface you attach to is machined square to the spindle and doesn't have any nicks or burrs. BE SURE WHEELS ARE POINTED STRAIGHT AHEAD WHEN SETTING CAMBER. Rotate the gauge until the small vial on the top of the gauge shows level.
- CAMBER: Turn on the AccuLevel™. Camber is read directly on the display to .1º (1/10º). Be sure the display is not flashing. This indicates it is in Caster Mode - CASTER see below. Push CASTER button to exit Caster and get into get into Camber Mode - steady display reading. See separate AccuLevel™ version 4 instructions if needed. On the left side of the display an arrow pointing up indicates negative camber (top of tire in). An arrow pointing down indicates positive camber (top of tire out). Race cars usually use negative camber on RF and positive camber on LF. This is helpful when using small camber numbers - less that 1º.
- CASTER is measured digitally on this version - up to 45º negative or 45º positive. First turn the wheels 15º to the right when setting the RF or 15º left when setting LF. (NOTE: THIS IS DIFFERENT THAN WHEN USING VIAL GAUGES WHICH USE 20º. IT IS IMPORTANT TO TURN THE WHEELS EXACTLY 15º FOR MAXIMUM ACCURACY.) Rotate gauge until it is level.
- Turn on the AccuLevel™ and push the CASTER button. The display will flash on and off to indicate caster is being measured. Push ZERO - display now reads 0º. Now turn the wheels back past center to 15º the opposite way - for a total of 30º (AGAIN THIS IS DIFFERENT THAN WHEN USING VIAL GAUGES). Rotate the gauge again to level and read the caster directly on the display to 1/10º. (Some previous models required you to double this number - NOT with this version.)
- Adjust the caster and camber as needed. Each time you make a change bounce on the front end to settle the suspension. NOTE: Adjusting the caster may have an effect on the camber and vice versa. Double check settings. Tighten all bolts when done.
IF GROUND IS NOT LEVEL :
Before checking camber remove AccuLevel™ and place on ground parallel to axle centerline. If it does not read 0.0º push “ZERO”. Replace AccuLevel™ in gauge and proceed as above. This must be done on each side of the car and will compensate for non-level ground. Push “ZERO” again to go back to normal (absolute) operation.
See separate instructions for AccuLevel™ version 4 if needed. It can be removed and used for other measurements. Simply slide AccuLevel™ out (it’s held in place with magnets).
NOTE: If display flashes on and off AccuLevel™ is in Caster mode and will not read absolute angles correctly. Push CASTER button to exit Caster Mode.
Do Not leave the gauge in the hot sunlight or store in a place over 120º F. The digital display may not be readable. Once it cools down the digital display should be visible again.
AccuLevel™ (ver. 4) Digital Measurement from 0.0° to 90.0°
NOTE: This Ver. 4 AccuLevel™ has 2 modes of operation. 1) In Normal angle measurement mode the display is steady. 2) In Caster Mode the display flashes (and will not measure absolute angles). Push CASTER button to exit Caster mode and go back to Normal angle measurement.
Turn On: Push ON/OFF. AccuLevel™ shuts off automatically after 15 minutes to save battery life. Batteries should last a year or more in normal use. See back side for battery door. Replace wtih 2 AAA alkaline batteries. Recalibrate when you change batteries (see below).
Zero: Acculevel™ maintains its zero when shut off and DOES NOT REQUIRE ZEROING.
Compare one angle to another: The ZERO button is ONLY used to compare one angle to another. Place AccuLevel™ on a surface and push ZERO. The display will go to 00.0 and the trapazoid will disappear from the display. Move to a different surface to compare the difference. Push ZERO again to return to normal use.
To hold a reading: Push HOLD and release. The display will show H and flash. When H stops flashing (approx. 5 sec.) the reading is held on the display. Push HOLD again to go back to active reading. NOTE: AccuLevel™ MUST be held absolutely steady during this 5 seconds.
To calibrate: Place AccuLevel™ on a reasonably level surface (does not need to be perfectly level - a table is OK). Turn on, then push ON/OFF and hold for 5 seconds until unit shuts off. Turn unit on again and -1- will appear on the display. Now push ZERO. -1- H will begin to flash and in a few seconds -2- will appear. TURN UNIT AROUND 180° IN THE SAME SPOT and push ZERO again. -2- H will begin to flash and in a few seconds normal readings will appear. Calibration is now complete.
Caster: (CASTER) AccuLevel™ will display front suspension Caster when used in a specially designed Caster/Camber gauge (click HERE or see Longacre catalog). See gauge instructions for details.
Display backlight: (LIGHT) AccuLevel™ Version 4 has a display back light.
DO NOT DROP THE UNIT. Keep clean and dry and avoid strong magnetic fields. Do not push 2 buttons at once (except to calibrate - see above). If it will not be used for several months remove the batteries.